Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Why I Love Beyoncé

Blogging is a little out of my comfort zone. I don't like opening up to people and I definitely don't like writing, so this is pure hell. But I also am all about conquering fears and working on weaknesses (although skydiving didn't cure my fear of heights, we're gonna move past that).
So I'm gonna share something that's personal, not very well known, and intimate. I'm talking, of course, about my love for Beyoncé. (Keep reading! It gets real, I promise)

 



I was in junior high in the 2003-2004 era (ish, around there). Junior high is a super fun time for everybody. Self esteem is at an all time low, acne and puberty are at an all time high, and boys are still short. I was/am a tall girl so I seemed like a giant to most. I hit puberty before my friends. I got curves, stretch marks, and wicked acne (mind you I had braces too) all at once. I couldn't help looking at all the other girls that were a size 0 and 90 lb.'s, completely ignoring the fact that I had a good 8 inches over everyone.

Now it wasn't just my friends I compared my body to. 2003 was a good year for Paris Hilton (the only good year, perhaps?). She was "the star" in Hollywood since her show had just started with Nicole Richie.

 


On top of that, the Olsen twins were still relevant.

 


 It was a recipe for disaster. So I made a desperate decision and became pretty unhealthy with my eating habits.
Now I'm not gonna try and say "Beyonce is Jesus and I was healed" or anything like that. I am gonna say that a 13 year old girl was browsing CDs one day in 2003 and found Dangerously in Love. She looked at this woman, who was curvy, known for being beautiful, and confident. It was one of my first CDs I ever bought. I didn't change my lifestyle that day, but I did start to wonder if curves and hips and boobs were meant to be embraced.
 


I get teased and poked today "Did you hear Beyoncé is in the illuminati?" Or "Did you see that Beyoncé copied her dance moves?"
I acknowledge that she's a celebrity and all celebrities are ridiculous.
She's a great singer and a celebrity that embraced a healthy body. She has a freaking song called Bootylicious for crying out loud. And for that, I appreciate her.

(But low key she is kinda Jesus)




DISCLAIMER:
There is nothing wrong with being super skinny like the celebrities I mentioned above. There is something wrong with having unhealthy eating habits. 

No comments:

Post a Comment